Flat / low slope
leader in residential Roofing services
Request a Free Quote
WHAT IS RESIDENTIAL LOW SLOPE ROOFING?
Benefits Of Flat / low slope roofing
- IT'S WINDPROOF– Perhaps the main advantage of low-slope roofs is its inherent wind resistance, which is significantly better than its steep-sloped counterparts.
- Accessible and Easy to Maintain – The nearly-flat surface allows roof access without the need for climbing equipment. If you need to perform a visual inspection, covering the entire roof area would be easy. This also helps expedite professional repairs. With residential-sized flat roofs, roof repairs can usually be done within a day.
- Durable – Certain low-slope residential roofs, such as modified bitumen and the traditional built-up roofing – also known as gravel and tar roof – are extremely durable and can withstand moderate foot traffic. If you wish to convert your roof into a roof deck, then such kinds of low-slope roofing would be a great option.
- Utility – If you happen to have split air conditioning units, you can also maximize your living area by siting the compressor half of your AC on the roof, similar to commercial properties. It will take some assistance from your HVAC expert, but the result can help you save on precious floor area as well as minimize the noise caused by the AC.
- Energy-Efficient – Older roofing types like the previously mentioned BUR are thick enough to minimize the amount of heat absorbed through the roof. With less heat reaching your indoor living space, less cooling is needed, which helps reduce your monthly energy consumption.
Flat / low slope roofing defined
A roof that is nearly flat or slightly pitched is called a flat roof or low slope roof – No roof should be dead flat because it must have at least a slight slope to drain.
Low-slope & steep-slope terms describe roof slope, the slant of a roof.
A low-slope roof is one that has a slope of less than 3-in-12.
This means that for every horizontal foot, the roof level goes up less than 3 inches vertically.
A steep-slope roof (typically a shingle roof) depends upon gravity to cause water to flow in one general direction so it can “shed” the water over the breaks & fasteners in the shingles until it flows to the edge. A low-sloped roof or flat roof can’t depend upon the water to flow in any particular direction so it must form a watertight, monolithic membrane that stays watertight all the way to the drains or edge.
Modern low-slope roof or flat roofs tend to use a continuous membrane covering which can better resist pools of standing water. These membranes are applied as continuous sheets, bonded together with heat-welding or adhesives. A more expensive low-slope or flat roof option include sealed metal roofs using copper or tin. These are soldered interlocking systems of metal panels.
Roof slope and pitch diagrams
Traditionally, low-slope or flat roofs would use a built-up (“tar and gravel”) roof, but today this traditional type of roofing suffers from performance, cost & environmental concerns requiring better value solutions.
Besides performance in wind, freeze-thaw cycles & UV radiation from the sun, a low-slope/flat roof must also withstand expansion & contraction & remain 100% watertight. This requires well-engineered attachment, seaming & weathering characteristics to meet these performance demands.
Panda roof has you covered
Call To Get A Free INSPECTION or more information
Whatever You Rely On To Provide Your Home Protection, We Can Get It Fixed.
Our Talented Roofers Are Trained To Repair Shingled Roofs, Metal Roofs, Tiled Roofs And Even Flat and Low Slope Roofing.
We Also Employ The Use Of State-Of-The-Art Equipment To Help Us Troubleshoot Your Roof Problem And Then Provide The Perfect Solution.
We Begin Every Roof Repair Project With A Comprehensive Roof Inspection So We Have An Accurate Assessment Of Your Roof’s Condition.
That Way, Not Only Do We Find The Roof Problem But Also Its Cause, And Any Other Issues That May Have Developed.
Your Comfort And Safety Is Our Top Priority, So We Are Dedicated To Providing The Most Complete And Effective Repair Job Possible.
At PANDA ROOF We Pride Ourselves In Putting Only The Most Skilled Individuals On The Job.
Share On Social Media